5-MTHF is: A New Generation of Folic Acid Quatrefolic® from Gnosis is a new generation of folic acid. It represents a breakthrough in folate supplementation with regard to activity, stability, and the high bioavailability when compared to folic acid and the methyl derivative folate. Quatrefolic® provides folate in the (6S)- 5-methyltetrahydrofolate form which is easily utilized and stored in the body. Quatrefolic® uses a glucosamine salt which has been proven in both human animal studies to have greater bioavailability over calcium salt versions. 5-MTHF is:
• The most stable, bioavailable and active form of folate
• Recommended for methylation, cellular health, and child bearing years/pregnancy*
• A preferred form of folate for the support of homocysteine management, heart health and nerve function*
• Gluten and soy free
• Made with non-gmo ingredients
Folic Acid and Pregnancy Taking folic acid before and during pregnancy supports the development of a healthy brain and spinal cord. It is recommended that folic acid consumption begin within the first 3-4 weeks of pregnancy so it is important to have folic acid in your system during those early stages when the baby’s brain and spinal cord are developing. Quatrefolic® brand folate bypasses the need for enzymatic activation making it readily available to be used by the body. Importance of Methylation Methylation is the process of attaching methyl groups to a compound in order to produce other compounds or to protect an existing compound from damage. This process is important to good health and well-being as it contributes to a wide variety of bodily functions such as:
• Production of enzymes, hormones, neurotransmitters, antibodies, vitamins and cell membranes
• Energy production, immune function and detoxification
• Repairing and building DNA, brain activity and mood balancing
• Healthy inflammatory response, homocysteine management and neurological function About Folic Acid The terms “Folate” and “folic acid” are often used interchangeably. It is a member of the B vitamin family and is necessary for methylation reactions in that it is required for the donation or transfer of methyl groups and for dontating its own methyl group to homocysteine in order to produce methionine for the production of SAMe, the principle methylating agent in the body.
Folate is also required for healthy development of cells, brain function and protection from cell damage. Folate Deficiency Folates are normally found in a wide variety of foods. However, they are unstable and susceptible to oxidation and rapidly lose activity during food processing, manufacturing and storage.
Common folic acid supplements must be converted to its active form by an enzyme called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase in order for it to be absorbed and utilized by the body. Several conditions such as an enzyme defect, malabsorption, digestive system challenges and, poor liver function can lead to a folate deficiency.
Lifestyle choices such as smoking, alcohol excess, eating disorders, low vegetable intake and chronic dieting put people at risk of low folate levels. As a result, much of society is deficient due to poor metabolism of folic acid from either food or supplements. 5-MTHF from DaVinci® Laboratories uses the Quatrefolic® brand folate because it bypasses the need for enzymatic activation making it readily available to be used by the body.
Supplement Facts Serving Size 1 Vegetarian Capsule Amount Per Serving: Folate (as [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid from 2,000 mcg of Quatrefolic® [6S]-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt) 1,000 mcg Other ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), vegetarian leucine. Warning: If pregnant or nursing, consult your healthcare practitioner before taking this product.
Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement, take 1 capsule daily, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Sold Exclusively Through Healthcare Practitioners
WARNING:If pregnant or nursing, consult your healthcare practitioner before taking this product.